Sunday, December 6, 2009

grace

so check this out...I bought a few packets of tiny balls that were purple, transparent, grey and blue from India. So here's what you do with them - you put them into a bowl for at least an hour, immersed in water. And after a particular period of time is over, they absorb the water and hence they become the size of marbles. So I was so happy that they worked out fine and everything was going good. But after a few days, I noticed that they were reducing again and not surprisingly, the reason was the water had gone dry. They had nothing to draw moisture, or in much more literal terms, they didn't get the 'food' they needed. I left a few out and they shrank back to their original size - slowly but it happened. And as long as I ensured that they got their water, they remained 'healthy and whole'. So all this got me thinking about spiritual food. And naturally, we can relate. Personally, there are days when I'm just too tired to even pick up my Bible and for a long time (a few months back)....I just didn't read it. The changes weren't sudden. It wasn't like I didn't wake up the next morning (obviously, I did). God didn't pelt me with thunder and heap burning coals upon my head. But eventually, my spirit grew weaker - it had to grow so pathetically weak that I barely could make it past an hour (at the most) without life-threatening thoughts entering my head - for me to notice it (my ignorance is quite note-worthy). I realized I had turned into the insignificant person I was before I knew God. I hadn't died - but I wasn't doing anything to help me fulfill my God-given purpose. I was alive - but insignificantly so. And then began the fattening process (again) - it probably (probably - ha!) hasn't gotten very far but I'm on the road. Somewhere along this road I realized that I could've chosen to stay 'just alive'. I could've existed. I could've given up hope; convinced myself that my spirit was a goner; that God had better things to do. The thing with those ball-y thingies was that even when it returned to its original state - when put in water, it could be restored! It would still take an hour or so to return to its previous splendour but it could. That's when I figured that all the time, we are the one's who give up on grace. We shut the door and believe its gone. God's always there. He's the fountain that never runs dry. The person who puts the ball thingies in the water is our will. The ball thingies is our spirit. Let's not give up. Even if its for the silliest thing possible. Just let God give you His grace. He wants to, you know.

No comments: